Talent and Diversity
There is no ‘typical’ EMTM student. The range of ages, industries and work experience is central to the learning that comes from exposure to such a depth and diversity of talent.
You could find yourself on a team with the director of business development at a major pharmaceutical firm and the CEO of a biotech start-up; with an executive in the insurance industry and the product manager for an international manufacturing division; with a financial manager at a leading telecommunications corporation and an IT leader in financial services. The person sitting next to you in class may bring insights gained over years in business, or be a rising star in an emerging field of technology.
A few facts about current classes indicate the breadth of EMTM backgrounds:
- The median age is 35 years (with a range of 25 years to 50+)
- They bring an average of 10 years work experience (with a range of 5 to 25+) in major corporations, government agencies and entrepreneurial ventures.
- Industry backgrounds include aerospace, biotech, computing, consulting, energy, financial services, high-tech, insurance, IT, manufacturing, pharmaceuticals, telecommunications, and more — as well as academic and public interest organizations. See also Companies and Student/Alumni Profiles for a full list of industries and companies represented.
- Typicaaly, between one third and one half of EMTM students already hold advanced degrees, including MS/MSE and PhD degrees in specialized fields, as well as MBAs and other professional degrees such as MD and JD.
- Their academic and work backgrounds include engineering, science, math, computing, business, economics and liberal arts.
- While most students travel from within the Washington, DC — Boston corridor, others commute from the South, Midwest and West Coast, and occasionally from outside the U.S.
- In recent years, we have had students who have traveled from Russia, Switzerland, Puerto Rico and Korea. (Penn is a 5-minute cab ride from Philadelphia's AMTRAK station, and 20 minutes from the Philadelphia airport.) See also Housing and Travel.